Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I've Always Wanted to be a Writer



For as long as I can remember, writing a book has been a goal of mine.  So why haven't I attempted it until now?  There are many reasons but the main one being I just never thought I could do it.  Seriously, the odds are stacked against you first of all.  Then, your self doubt grabs you and takes hold as well.  I mean seriously, who in their right mind thinks I could not only write a book, but have it published too?  I have not.

Until now.

I'm not saying I'm the next Danielle Steel by any means but with the way self-publishing is becoming more and more popular, I know I can be published.  Now, it's just writing the blasted thing.  I've started writing a book.  Can I finish?

Yes, I can.

Will I?

Man I hope so.

I met someone who gave me the push I needed to do this.  Someone amazingly fantastic.  Her name is Melissa Perea and she is writing her first book as well.  Visit her blog and tell her I sent you.  http://melissaeperea.blogspot.com/

*side note:  You all are going to be hooked on her book when it comes out.  Mark my words.  Remember you heard it here, the name Melissa Perea.  You can thank me later.

Anyway, Melissa gave me that push I needed to finally tell my insecurities off and actually do this.  I had one idea I was going for, then another hit me so I went for that.  When I tried writing that, it wasn't flowing.  So I went to my original idea and tried writing that.  Again, not flowing.  UGH!  Why are the writing gods against me?  Then, ANOTHER idea popped in my head and I started writing it.  This time it's flowing!  The third time really is the charm.

But, it's still not easy.  And I'm finding these stories don't end up the way you originally planned.  And wow, how many times do I need to change a scene until it's right?

Regardless of how difficult it may be, I'm going to do this.  I'm determined.  I'm no longer willing to sit back and dream about this, I'm going to make it happen.  


Laura

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! This got me inspired to get back to working on my own story which I've been neglecting all summer. I know what you mean, it's a ton of hard work! I've been working on this story for 6 years and have edited it literally dozens of times. Keep working hard and good luck :]

    ReplyDelete